Hi,
its "tourism=information; information=guide_post;name=The Trail Name"
on a node next to the trail exactly where the physical sign is.

Then, attach the trail segments + the trail marker node to the route relation.

Cheers,
Sam

On 7/2/10, Val Kartchner <val...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 20:50 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Val Kartchner <val...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > I've wanted to tag the trail heads for the paths I've added.  I've
>> > searched for such a tag in the wiki with no luck.  It would be like the
>> > tag for parking: An area would indicate parking as well while a point
>> > may indicate parking.
>>
>> trailhead as a point is an interesting concept, and hard to pin down.
>> It seems to apply to bigger trails more than anything else.
>> Conceptually, what distinguishes something you'd call a trailhead?  To
>> me, a trailhead doesn't necessarily have good parking, but somehow
>> stands out as a hike start/end location because the trail that comes to
>> the road is particularly important.
>>
>> If a trailhead is just amenity=parking and information=board, we have a
>> way to represent those.
>>
>> So I think what's really missing is some way to label some
>> highway=footway as more important than others.
>
> I've been thinking about this question for a few days.  Maybe the only
> way to distinguish a trailhead is that it has been designated as this by
> some trail authority.
>
> For instance, the Ogden River Parkway
> (http://weberpathways.org/trails_display.asp?ID=30 ) crosses several
> streets but only certain places are designated trailheads.  On the West
> Haven Trail (http://weberpathways.org/trails_display.asp?ID=32 ) the
> trailhead is located where there is public parking and a paved trail
> (not a sidewalk) all of the way to the Weber River Parkway.
>
> What other way could we use to designate trailheads?  Many GPS units
> have icons and searches for trailheads.  What criteria do they use?
>
> - Val -

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blogs: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
http://Acrosscanadatrails.blogspot.com
Skype: samvekemans
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #osm-ca Canadian OSM channel (an open chat room)
@Acrosscanadatrails