At 2010-08-07 21:40, Paul Johnson wrote:
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 18:28:26 -0700, Alan Mintz wrote:

> Lastly, it matches the
> overwhelming majority of print usage and signage.

If print usage and signage were consistent even between cities in the
same state, I'd tend to agree.  Given that what areas abbreviate which
words and what abbreviation they use for it, I'd say trying to find
abbreviations everyone can agree on for this is entirely futile to the
point of not even being worth trying.

In the previous thread some months ago, I presented a handful of the most common street-type abbreviations, covering the vast majority of roads. They are widely used, consistent, and unambiguous. I can present pics as evidence from many southern CA cities, as I'm sure could other people for other places. They are particularly clear when placed in their own tag.

1- and 2-letter directional prefixes and suffixes (e.g. N, NW) are certainly unambiguous, especially when placed in their own tag.

An easily-created JOSM preset dialog with separate fields for these things is no harder to populate than the existing single-field. Renderers should use the component fields if they are present, avoiding the need for an expanded field altogether, though editors could certainly be modified to create one easily enough. It's simple logic and a very small hash lookup to expand it while rendering, certainly a very small percentage of the overall rendering job, though I think that many people, given the choice, would prefer a map with less clutter caused by seeing Boulevard, Street, and Avenue spelled out over and over again.

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>