Frederik Ramm wrote:
> 0. Discuss with community (don't import if no community exists)
> 1a. Discuss with community (don't import if no community exists)
> 2a. Discuss with community (don't import if no community exists)
> 3a. Work with community (make tools that let LOCAL community do this
comparison)
> 4. provide tools/mechanism to let community upload the data in their
> area of interest. If no community exists, do no upload data.
> In a place without a thriving community,
> NOBODY NEEDS A (third party) IMPORT - the import will only make it
> harder for a community to form.

I speak on this from three perspectives. 1) Operator of a relatively high
traffic demo mapping website that uses OSM (through CloudMade) as a base map.
2) Creator of an ESRI JSAPI map layer extension that allows drop in use of
cloudmade or osm as a base map in a JSAPI based map. 3) Holder of a significant
cache of official centerlines (recorded plats edited by 911 mappers) that I
would like to get into OSM so we can continue to use the basemap.
Just because there is no community of editors, does not meant there is not a
community of highly motivated users. That is the impetus behind government
agencies wanting to get their centerlines into OSM. Close off those agencies,
and you close them off as users.
Once I get our data uploaded into ESRI Community Basemaps (which is a simpler
process, has technical support, and will accept and integrate our authoritative
data even without an editor community), I'm going to have to make a choice
whether our public maps will continue to use OSM. If significant barriers are
made to our agency being able to upload or edit, that will be an easy choice.
ESRI and Google are both actively recruiting data uploads with offered support.
I don't think it is wise to go the opposite extreme with actively refusing
uploads.
Consider how these sources are put together too. For our county, 20+
cartographers working every day from recorded plats, deeds, right of ways,
internal high resolution aerials and differential GPS traces. That -is- an
editing community of its own.

Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017
Office: 314-628-5400
Fax: 314-628-5508
Direct: 314-628-5407

> I got the impression after SotM US that there was a huge interest in
> doing imports correctly. For me, correctly means the following:

0. Discuss with community (don't import if no community exists)

> 1. Get permission

1a. Discuss with community (don't import if no community exists)

> 2. Convert to OSM format

2a. Discuss with community (don't import if no community exists)

> 3. Compare to existing data

3a. Work with community (make tools that let LOCAL community do this
comparison)

> 4. Upload to the data

no:

4. provide tools/mechanism to let community upload the data in their
area of interest. If no community exists, do no upload data.

I think that far too much weight is put on the technical side here. In a
place with a thriving community, it may not take more than a WMS server
to get the "import" going. In a place without a thriving community,
NOBODY NEEDS A (third party) IMPORT - the import will only make it
harder for a community to form.

Bye
Frederik

End of Talk-us Digest, Vol 33, Issue 42