It us acquired under the LUCA program. You have to go through a form
of clearance for confidential data to access LUCA data and it is not
public domain. I do not have that clearance, so my understanding of it
is limited. Basically, the Census sends each county there current
records and the county reviews/updates it. There are no direct
penalties, but not participating leaves you on the outside for grant
money and significantly increases the risk of undercount. As well,
since so many commercial services integrate decennial tiger data, nit
correct the Census records can create other problems for a county down
the road.
But to repeat, LUCA data is confidential(?) and never released to the
public.
-Brett Lord-Castillo

Sent from my iPod