On 10/16/10 7:12 AM, Mike N. wrote:

One thing I /haven't/ seen addressed yet is whether single relations are
preferred, or one relation for each way with a super-relation.
Currently both are in use, but I think it would be a lot easier for
future code if we pick one and move towards it from now on.

The current preferred convention is one relation per state, with a super-relation for all. Some people are converting existing road route relations, but it takes time. The reason is to minimize editing conflicts across long distances where it is likely that 2 or more people will be splitting a roadway to add attributes at the same time.
for motorways a lot of people are using two per state, one in each direction. there
hasn't really been a concensus on that vs one relation with roles.

the other reason for breaking at state lines is that for long US highways and
Interstates, the number of nodes in the ways becomes unreasonably large
and editing them becomes an iffy proposition.

richard