Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Peter Budny <pet...@gatech.edu> wrote:
>> Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> TIGER's state highway data is pretty horrible. For example, in
>>> Florida, there are many so-called state roads that were given to the
>>> counties in the 1980s. It seems most have been fixed, but here's an
>>> example:
>>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=30.4537&lon=-85.2118&zoom=14&layers=M
>>
>> I'm planning on using the tiger:base_name tag, since that seems to be
>> pretty consistently applied (except that TIGER couldn't decide whether
>> to use "State Highway" or "State Route" or "SR"... but I can just search
>> for all known combinations of names).
>>
>> The area you linked seems to have these tags intact for FL 20, FL 73,
>> FL 287, and FL 287A.  Did I overlook something?
>
> 287 and 287A have been county roads for the last 20-30 years.
>>
>>> You also have major problems in towns, where a route doesn't make a
>>> turn like it should.
>>
>> The generated relations will have to be checked by hand, because of
>> problems exactly like this.  However, 80-90% of the tedious work will be
>> done, and (I hope) users will be able to walk the relation end-to-end
>> and fix up the problem spots pretty easily.
>
> I just hope people don't take a shortcut and accept the TIGER data. I
> recently had to clean up after someone doing this in north Florida:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/11057836/history
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/10991196/history

I'm not sure whether you're saying it's a good idea or a bad idea.

It seems to me that once you have all the relations in the db, it's easy
to get a list of all network=US:FL route relations, compare it to a
current list of state-maintained roads, and find the ones that need to
be edited.  Without the relations, there's no particularly easy way to
find this data so it can be corrected.

And, if people keep mistakenly tagging these as state roads when they're
actually county roads, maybe there should be a "note=Not a state
highway; this has been a county road since 19xx. See <url>"
--
Peter Budny  \
Georgia Tech  \