On 10/18/2010 03:31 PM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Alex Mauer<ha...@hawkesnest.net>  wrote:
On 10/15/2010 09:44 PM, Richard Welty wrote:
i've seen an argument that the correct network value for a county
route involves using the actual county name, e.g.

I wouldn’t say it’s wrong.  “Unnecessary” probably, since county roads /
highways / trunk highways don’t, as far as I know, have different signs
within a state.

In most states they at least mention the name of the county (though we
obviously wouldn't do this on maps); Wisconsin may be alone in leaving
it off. Some counties (usually those that started signing routes
before the now-standard blue pentagon was created) have very different
designs, especially in New York (example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Erie_County_Route_30_NY.svg - for

Good to know. If they used the same pattern everywhere, just changing the name, I would still be in favor of simply recording that it was a county highway, but since different counties within a state use entirely different signs I stand corrected. It is useful to have the county name in the network tag.

Perhaps it would be useful to make a wiki page documenting which states and counties have “non-standard” signs?

—Alex Mauer “hawke”