On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ways and relations are equally easy to "break"

Nope. They're not, because relation membership is not a tag on the
way. A way is always uploaded with its tags, but for various reasons
(editor bugs, huge relations causing timeouts, lost connections) split
ways can get uploaded without the relation being properly uploaded.
For several months, I was actively maintaining the U.S. Highway and
Interstate relations, and almost every day there was at least one
problem that needed fixing. In the vast majority of cases, the ways
retained the proper tags. If you don't believe me, please spend some
time going through the errors on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Nakor/US_relations_check and
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Nakor/Interstate_relations_check
using Nakor's tool