On 10/21/2010 07:12 PM, Anthony wrote:
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Alex Mauer<ha...@hawkesnest.net>  wrote:
On 10/21/2010 08:06 AM, Anthony wrote:
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Greg Troxel<g...@ir.bbn.com>    wrote:

So if we have whole-multiple-counties=5 (eg
NYC) county=6 township=7 city/town=8 then it would make sense
everywhere.

What would be an example of a township that would be at admin_level=7?

I don’t have a specific, named example, but see pages 8-32–8-35 of http://www.census.gov/geo/www/GARM/Ch8GARM.pdf

It’s not about whether they do that much; it’s about whether they’re
administered by a government.  School boards are a part of the government
yes, but they’re don’t govern the districts that they cover.

Absolutely they do.

In some (most) cases, you’re right, although it does vary from state to state. They are special-purpose governments though.

The point of admin_level is *not* primarily to record which governments are
above another.  It’s to indicate which governments across different
countries and states are (approximately) equivalent.

Then we shouldn't use numbers, or if we're going to use numbers we
should assign those numbers in random order.

Huh? Why? What do you propose instead? Please don’t say “use the name of the entity”, because we already have a key that does that (border_type) and it would make it a nightmare to make a consistent international map.

—Alex Mauer “hawke”