The official current Wiki convention for interstate tagging http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Interstate_Highways has the exit sign information being placed in the name= tag. The motorway_junction tag http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmotorway_junction introduces a new exit_to= tag to record exit sign destinations.

There was no response to a question on the tagging list as to whether the name= should contain all exit destinations from the sign.

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2010-October/005207.html

Some have commented that placing exit sign information in the name results in a cluttered map because the name renders instead of the ref. I agree with this. Since I believe the name={signInfo] is a US-only convention and there are no other strong opinions, we should look at changing this. If there are no other comments, I'll outline the steps we'll need to go through to change this.