I like the idea of putting the immediately-connected road in the exit_to=
tag and leaving the rest of the sign's text to destination sign relations.
I fully agree that some people's current practice (including mine in the
past) makes for a very clittered map and needs improvement.

Interstate exit signs are carefully chosen for clarity - using only the immediately-connected road in exit_to can result in a situation such Tulsa, OK where Skelly Drive parallels I44, and there would be many exits with an immediate link to Skelly Drive: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.0895&lon=-95.95508&zoom=16&layers=M - totally confusing someone who uses that information.

Sign relations are less ambiguous, but there is no editor assistance. In many cases, a destination city on a sign will be hundreds of KM distant, which again complicates trying to locate the object to add to the sign relation.