Is there a reason to have the network tag with "networkUS:state:county"
instead of three separate tags for "network:country" "network:state" and
"network:county" in the case of county roads and two in the case of state,
etc. Having a "network:country=" tag will clear up any confusion in which
country the route is in.

I don't think a simple US:state:county tag will suffice as people have
complained about parsing. Such a tag would likely have to be tagged
"network:location=US:state:county" as you would have to differentiate
between interstates, highways, etc. easily. By having a network and location
tags you could know the location and type of road. Additionally this would
allow for rendering of shields or determining the type route for other
rendering differentiation purposes.

I think because other tags break out location based on country, state,
county, etc it would be wise to also do so with network tagging. There are
many counties that have the same name that are in different locations. Other
OSM users have expressed issues with relying on pre-possessing to gather
location data.

Andrew