On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 5:47 AM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Question: what do people think about minimum standards for tagging
> something highway=motorway? In other words, would it be reasonable to
> tag a highway as trunk rather than motorway because it has no
> shoulders or a low speed limit (40 mph)?

Do you have a specific example in mind?

We do have minimum standards, in that we have tagging guidelines.
Without a specific example, I would consider:

- dual carriageway ?
- only grade separated junctions ?
- access to local properties ?
- highest level of roads in local / regional network ?

And then I would still have to make a judgement call if there was
incomplete agreement with all of those considerations.

For example, I recall driving a stretch of I-something through the
mountains.  This particular section was lower speed due to the
mountainous terrain.  Visibility was reduced by shorter turning radii.
 Shoulders were narrower.  And in one place I'm sure I saw a mailbox
and a residential driveway directly connected on the shoulder.  That
driveway would ordinarily mean demotion from motorway, but I prefer to
see it as a delightful quirk of the Interstate highway system.  So I
made no changes to the way that locals have tagged their part of the
world.

When in doubt, let a local decide.