So if a motorway became sub-standard through a small city with a low speed
limit, but still limited access, you think tagging it as secondary or tertiary
would be appropriate? Seems to me that it's functioning as a motorway
regardless of the speed limit.
I-93 is a pathological case, and since it doesn't even maintain 4 lanes, I'd
argue that it should be tagged trunk in that case. US-78 through tupelo is a
case where dropping below motorway wouldn't make sense, as it maintains grade
separation and all other aspects of a motorway except shoulder width and a
lower than expected speed limit.