On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 22:37 -0800, PJ Houser wrote:
> In Portland, Oregon, the region's transit agency Trimet
> (http://www.trimet.org) is transitioning to an open-source trip
> planner (http://maps5.trimet.org/otp/). The trip planner will use OSM
> data for a multi-modal approach - walking, biking, driving - and
> Trimet's route data. However, Portland data is not accurate enough nor
> complete enough yet in OpenStreetMap, so my job is to help fix that
> with Trimet and the community. The roads are often incorrect or do not
> intersect properly, making consistently good routing impossible. Bike
> routes and off-road trails are seriously lacking.

I think there are a couple of distinct problems here.  With the things
that are simply lacking from OSM, I think a careful manual import makes
sense.  It would be nice to get a sense of the scale of the problem,
like how many trails we're talking about in the metro area.  If we're
talking about 100, a manual import makes sense, but 100,000, probably
not.

Similar to that problem is getting new streets that weren't imported
with TIGER2005 in to the data set.  Coming up with that set can probably
be done in a fairly automated fashion.  But, perhaps doing it visually
would be good enough:

        http://greenvilleopenmap.info/StreetCompare.jpg

Another concern is what ongoing efforts there will be each time new data
gets released.  We should at least keep in mind what will have to be
done next year at this time.

Especially for a trip planner, I'm not sure that that accuracy is really
all that important.  Here's a route from where Google says my old
apartment was to where it actually is (~420 feet off according to them):

        http://goo.gl/LjxWv

That's basically a precision problem in their geocoder, and is the kind
of problem that will pop up if OSM streets don't closely match what's
coming out of your geocoder.  It's something to work on, but it doesn't
seem like an urgent problem to fix.  I think people are used to the
endpoints of their route being a bit fuzzy.

No matter what gets done, we'll need something to convert over to the
OSM formats.  That's probably the most important thing to be looking at,
first.

OpenTripPlanner looks really cool, btw!

-- Dave