On 02/03/2011 02:25 PM, PJ Houser wrote:
 Hi all,

 I have some basic questions:

 > 1) Why are relations preferred for bike routes?

Take a look at Santa Cruz County, California with OSM Cycle Map layer (see the text in the last paragraph at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz_County,_California#Work_to_be_done_in_the_County). We tag highways (AGAIN: additionally tag the WAY containing highway=*) that the County (Regional Transportation Commission) displays on its annually-published paper Bike Map thusly:

Class I: "highway=cycleway"
Class II:  "cycleway=lane"
Class III: "bicycle=yes"

With these tags as/added to a highway=* way, OSM's Cycle Map layer renders, respectively, dark blue stitches (I), dark blue casings (II), and brown casings (III). This seems 100% unambiguous to everybody so far I have spoken with: renderings "match" except in color, but logically, yes, 100% matching with how the County publishes its annual paper map for these three Classes of bike ways / cycle ways / what we as cyclists ride on. Call this "Part One." No numbered routes, just bike INFRASTRUCTURE as it exists today.

ADDITIONALLY, there is a "local cycleway network" route numbering system being simultaneously proposed. The local jurisdictions are in the process of literally seeing proposals in OSM, as we speak, using a two-digit (initially, to include a third digit on spur and belt routes) numbering space, but only on "major" (0, 5) routes first, 8 and 80 being the local examples of the first two "spine" routes created. Because there is a tag "state=proposed" which is exactly right for these, AND it causes "dashing" to imply "proposed," we use it.

So, starting from scratch as a routing network is developed (it is truly helpful to have the Part One, as above, describing the EXISTING cycleway infrastructure already tagged in OSM...TAG the HIGHWAYS), a new relation is created with these tags:

network=lcn
ref=8
route=bicycle
state=proposed
type=route

Then, each segment of highway which is actually a member of the route is added as a member to the relation (in order of connectivity). Voilá. Looks good. It sounds harder than it is. Call this "Part Two A."

When a route is "approved" by the local jurisdiction (city, town, county) just remove the "state=proposed" tag and the "dashing" goes to solid. Call this "Part Two B."

Get it? There are two independent (but related) things going on: the highway tags describe the actual infrastructure (Class I, II and III bikeways) and the relations describe the route numbering system that "lies on top of" this.

Then there's rendering.

Yes, there is! Use the above to potentially use OSM as a public planning tool to discuss bicycle routes. It's what we are doing, and it is very handy (a laptop with wireless and a video cable feeding a monitor for a viewing audience works well). Note: Cycle Map layer renders about once a week, usually around Wednesday/Thursday.

May OSM bloom with (properly constructed, public consensus or de facto approved) bicycle (route) networks!

stevea
California