On 02/05/2011 05:09 PM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On 2/5/2011 12:36 PM, stevea wrote:
>> Take a look at Santa Cruz County, California with OSM Cycle Map layer
>> (see the text in the last paragraph at
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz_County,_California#Work_to_be_done_in_the_County).
>>
>> We tag highways (AGAIN: additionally tag the WAY containing highway=*)
>> that the County (Regional Transportation Commission) displays on its
>> annually-published paper Bike Map thusly:
>>
>> Class I: "highway=cycleway"
>> Class II: "cycleway=lane"
>> Class III: "bicycle=yes"
>
> bicycle=yes simply means that cycling is allowed, and is the default
> state for everything but a motorway. It should not be used to mean that
> the county thinks it's a good road for cycling. For instance, cycling
> may be allowed on a portion of freeway, but the county instead
> recommends an alternate surface route.

Given that some parts of the world (such as North America) have as many
states and motorways that allow bicycles as don't, I'm not sure any
assumption is considered valid for bicycle accessibility for motorways
and encourage people mapping North American motorways to research the
issue and find out for sure if it's actually legal to do so.  Fewer than
25 states (the ones that do are all eastern states with high population
densities and typically motorways that have been grandfathered into the
Interstate system but wouldn't qualify by modern standards) and no
provinces prohibit bicycles (or pedestrians, for that matter) altogether
on all motorways, these should have bicycle= tags explicitly set, and
only by people who have researched the issue for the locale in question.

>> ADDITIONALLY, there is a "local cycleway network" route numbering system
>> being simultaneously proposed. The local jurisdictions are in the
>> process of literally seeing proposals in OSM, as we speak, using a
>> two-digit (initially, to include a third digit on spur and belt routes)
>> numbering space, but only on "major" (0, 5) routes first, 8 and 80 being
>> the local examples of the first two "spine" routes created. Because
>> there is a tag "state=proposed" which is exactly right for these, AND it
>> causes "dashing" to imply "proposed," we use it.
>
> Have these been proposed by the governments, or is OSM being used as a
> medium for citizens to recommend routes? The latter seems like a misuse
> of OSM.

While I agree that OSM is to be used to describe what currently exists,
it should be noted that in central western California, numbered bicycle
routes are common and many more are often frequently proposed.  I would
hazard to guess that proposed routes are *under*mapped, not overmapped.

>> When a route is "approved" by the local jurisdiction (city, town,
>> county) just remove the "state=proposed" tag and the "dashing" goes to
>> solid. Call this "Part Two B."
>
> No, it's when it's *signed* (example:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/bike/3553881233) that it should be marked
> as not being proposed. I assume rcn 1 already has signs?

I disagree.  If it's proposed (like LCN 50S, which is so early there's
not a single route nailed down yet), it's proposed.  Once approved, it
exists, even if old or non-existent signage is still on the ground, as
signage is often inconsistent years after the fact.  If mapping routes
on the ground was the exclusive goal, than most bicycle routes wouldn't
exist in North America (based on the frequency the smaller signage is
stolen), and Oklahoma would have at least 9 different parallel routes
for OK 66 and three for OK 117.  States don't have an infinite signage
budget, so signage can take months, or more likely, years to decades, to
update to reflect the reality of the situation.

I'm still finding US 66 signs on residential streets that haven't been
part of *any* highway (or even had lane delineators) in decades...that
doesn't mean US 66 still exists.