On 4/11/2011 2:26 PM, Phil! Gold wrote:
I've also thought that it would be nice to have a tag like admin_level
(perhaps the admin_level tag itself) on relations to indicate which level
of government is responsible for maintaining the road.

No good. Many local governments maintain portions of state- and nationally-numbered highways (both of which are normally state-maintained). In fact Baltimore City maintains its portion of Interstate 83 (and all other signed routes, except for I-95, I-395, and I-895, which the Maryland Transportation Authority maintains). The only way to handle this is with operator=* tags on each individual way.