On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 5/2/2011 4:29 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com
>>    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:West_Harrisburg.jpg
>> As such, it could help
>> reduce - though never fully prevent - cases like the one you link to.
>>

> How is that? West Harrisburg was created using ordinary editing tools over
> a matter of months. Certainly you're not proposing that new editors can't
> draw roads?

That could be an option, although you'd need to be able to move on pretty
quickly from there. Reputation systems are about trust: you gain trust by
delivering quality contributions, you lose it by delivering crap. On eBay it
involves peer-rating of contributions, on StackOverflow it's a combination
of peer-reviewing and badges, and on OSM I think it could look something
like that. You would get badges for doing good things, and changesets could
be peer-reviewed (though probably only by fellow users who have done any
significant amount of editing in the same area - or at least their ratings
would weigh in more). On StackOverflow you can do useful things right from
the start: ask and answer questions. Once you gain rep, you can start doing
even more useful things quite soon: vote contributions up or down, edit
questions, create new tags. I think the benefits of higher quality data and
less churn outweigh the imposed limitations associated with the learning
curve.

>> What is the story behind this West Harrisburg vandalism situation by the
>> way?
>>

> "Didn't realize this map was supposed to be a real map. Just through[sic]
> some stuff in there. Thought it was a game or something. Come to find out
> it's more like Wikipedia."
>
> Creating "badges" for a certain number of edits or other such grinding
> would, if anything, increase the amount of bogus editing as new editors try
> to get those badges, and would piss off new editors who know what they're
> doing (for example, soon after joining, I imported the complete NYC Subway
> system from a shapefile I had previously created by tracing USGS topos, and
> successfully merged the portions that had already been mapped).

Probably one of the main challenges for a rep system is getting the balance
just right: you want to stimulate doing good things but reduce collateral
damage (badge hunting) as much as possible. You wouldn't want to reward pure
quantity - anyone can add 1000 nodes in one day. Does that mean it can't
work at all? I don't think so. In this particular case the threshold could
be a little more complicated with a temporal dimension - the Node Regular
badge for 1000 nodes in a month, with no more than 100 on any given day. I
mean, there's ways to tackle these problems - as there will always be ways
to beat the system. You're not going to eliminate evil.

As for your specific case of importing the NYC subway - that's great work,
and you apparently knew what you were doing. A lot of people don't, and we
see the negative effects of that more and more often, pissing off (and even
scaring away) experienced mappers. Who would you rather lose: committed and
experienced mappers frustrated with yet another ill-advised import, or those
not willing to take the time to address the learning curve that is
inherently there in an open, do-ocracy-based community?

--
Martijn van Exel
http://about.me/mvexel