On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 5/10/2011 7:08 AM, Ian Dees wrote:
>
>> Or you could simply apply the shields to the geometries created by route
>> relations, greatly simplifying the ref parsing crap. Since the tile
>> server is running Mapnik trunk-ish now, you should be able to use the
>> SVG symbolizers (which should allow you to specify the contents of an
>> SVG using a DB value rather than having separate SVGs for each shield).
>>
>>  So is this actually being worked on, or is it still the perfect that is
> getting in the way of better?

It sounded to me like you were working on rendering with Mapnik. As I've
mentioned several times, osm2pgsql creates linestrings for route relations,
so all you need to do is apply the Mapnik rules to those route relation
geometries.

> By the way, we'll always need rendering based on ways as a fallback, unless
> someone wants to make relations for every rural and suburban street in North
> Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.

I think we could start by putting shields on interstate route relations,
move to US highway route relations, and then perhaps state and county road
route relations. Yes, obviously ways still need to be rendered.