> By the way, we'll always need rendering based on ways as a fallback,
> unless someone wants to make relations for every rural and suburban
> street in North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Another issue here is that we cannot say "Hey, we've got a route relation.
Let's render only shields for that relation, and not for any member ways,
even if those member ways are tagged as routes as well."

We either have to render only one of them (relation or ways), or both.

Let's also not focus solely on the mapnik map. How's the osmarender
support for route relation shields?

--
Lennard