On 6/5/11 10:26 AM, Richard Weait wrote:
On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 9:46 PM, James Mast<rickmastfa...@hotmail.com>  wrote:

I'm also leaning away from distinguishing unposted routes.  I don't
think they should be in the database.  If they are unposted, the could
be confusing to a user on the ground when included in an OSM
rendering.
i recommend a separate tag for unsigned routes, say

ref:unsigned=NY 910F

the reason for this is pretty simple. periodically mappers
come along in NY and they discover the master list of
touring routes, including the unsigned routes with
numbers in the 900s, and they cleverly add them to the
map (i can probably find several cases of this very quickly.)

having a specific tag for it would hopefully serve as a vent
for the urge to tag these, so that folks wouldn't add them
to the ref tags, where they definitely don't belong.

richard