What I still like to use a dedicated GPS for is for georeferencing the
photos I take while out mapping. My camera does not have a built in
GPS and I prefer to use a dedicated camera over my phone camera which
would yield georeferenced images.

And maybe even more importantly, to upload the traces to the OSM
server (although I badly need to catch up with that). I think that
will always remain useful.

Martijn

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Nathan Mills <nat...@nwacg.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 15:05:22 -0400, Lars Ahlzen wrote:
>
>> I completely agree with you, though. The trace from my cellphone is
>> horrifically bad compared to that of my GPSMap60, so I still use the
>> latter a lot for mapping.
>
> What phones are you guys using? The TI chips Nokia uses seem to usually
> get within about 10 feet or better anywhere where there's a reasonable
> view of the sky. That's not to say it's never off, but the outliers are
> usually plainly obvious when looking at the track in JOSM.
>
> When I go out and map new subdivisions, there is often dirt work shown
> on the aerial imagery that can be used as a reference, along with the
> pictures from the phone taken at 5 second intervals, so I can be pretty
> certain it's close at worst.
>
> I could do better with a better GPS, I'm sure, but for your typical
> suburban-style development the phone seems as good as anything that
> doesn't involve post-processing.
>
> If I were trying to map individual structures, it probably wouldn't
> be good enough. However, for getting the roads on the map, my N900
> works (or more accurately worked, given my recent output) just fine.
>
> -Nathan

martijn van exel
geospatial omnivore
1109 1st ave #2