Hi,

We're been trying to come up with ways to help people run mapping parties,
and have come up with a very basic outline.
You may find the best resource to be here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapping_Weekend_Howto

As far as focusing on people, we've have good response from GIS groups, and
universities.
If you can find a local Geography department, you can send them a flyer
about the party.
Community colleges tend to be a good source too, and a lot of places have
GIS classes.

The real hard part is to get the word out, and to the right people, but
there are a few places you can start.

--
Jim McAndrew