Two critical elements of a successful mapping party are the people and
publicity.

WRT publicity, I have learned (the hard way) that publicity materials need
to convey enough information to get people curious enough to show up. Also
you need to disperse publicity through as many channels as you can. If you
can target organized groups (e.g. boy/girl scouts, 4H, bicycling clubs,
sports clubs, etc.) you have a better shot at getting good participation.

And speaking of civic/youth organizations, in terms of people these groups
are more likely to show up and take enthusiasm in the project, partly
because they are naturally curious students, but also because they have
community service requirements easily filled by OSM contrbutions. I also
think retirees may be good candidates, though I haven't personally reached
out to those groups. (Sadly, my experience with my fellow GIS professionals
is that initially they show a great deal of curiosity about OSM, but they
tend to be less committed than amateurs and more dismissive of OSM on
accuracy grounds.)

I'll also second Jim's suggestion of the Mapping Weekend How To.  Good luck!

-- SEJ
-- twitter: @geomantic
-- skype: sejohnson8

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." --
Einstein