On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Peter Dobratz <pe...@dobratz.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Mike N <nice...@att.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 1/13/2012 10:49 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>>>
>>> * Remap data that remains at risk of being removed, following the
>>> guidelines on the wiki (see links below).
>>

>> Assuming that the April 1 delete is a smart delete, is it better to wait
>> until afterward?   I'm thinking of this -
>>
>>  1 TIGER - agreer
>>  2 Bridges, etc - decliner
>>  3 Attribution - Maxspeed, lanes, etc. - agreer
>>
>>  Rather than just deleting the road and starting over from aerial or
>> TIGER, will the April 1 roll back the decliner's edits, thus preserving the
>> agreer's contributions?
>

> I agree that it makes more sense to clean up the map after the deletes from
> the license change have taken affect.  As far as I know, it's still being
> sorted out exactly which portions of the map will be deleted.

Even if you don't do any pre-emptive remapping, I would still
encourage everyone to try and contact a few non-decided mappers. I
have had pretty good luck sending a message throught he OSM message
system and then finding what I suspect are the same users on various
other sites and asking them if they are the owner of the OSM account
and asking them to log in and check their messages if they are. I have
gotten positive responses via twitter, facebook and flickr resulting
in 5 users accepting the new terms. This took both Topeka and Lawrnece
from being massive red blobs to being 99% ODbL ready. And at least one
of the users made his first changeset in 2 years so that's a nice
bonus.

As for remapping efforts, if you want to wait for the hammer to drop
in your area, that's fine. However I am trying to ensure that at least
the major nationwide road networks don't become completley unroutable
on April 1st. I think this would be a major blow to the credibility of
OSM. I have detailed my remapping efforts as it relates specifically
to interstates in a blog post which I will shamelessly plug here:
http://ksmapper.blogspot.com/2012/01/license-change-mapping.html

Toby