On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/4/2012 2:43 PM, Chris Lawrence wrote:
>>
>> Renderers can fallback to the longest
>> left-anchored substring they understand for weird things they don't
>> understand.
>

> Bad idea. Google Maps does something like this and it results in 'bannered'
> routes appearing without banners.

Meh.  I was mostly referring to weird stuff like US:TX:FM:Business or
US:US:Business:MD.  To me, US:US:Business:MD falling back on
US:US:Business is fine.  Tagwatch processes should catch common cases
like US:US:Alternate and US:US:Business and ensure they get rendered
correctly.

Besides, if we slapped the info in the ref tag, our naive data
consumers would just render a foot-wide shield with "460 Business" in
it.  Or break at the space and do the exact thing Google's doing with
bannered routes already.  Stupid data consumers are stupid data
consumers; there's no technical solution for it.

Chris