On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 09:15:49PM -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> I'm wondering what the best way would be to tag a good-quality
> shoulder that acts essentially as an undesignated bike lane, in that
> you can use it but it is not required. Current Florida DOT policy is
> to use these on rural roads, with marked bike lanes only when there
> is a lane to the right. For example here:
> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=30.605358,-86.950672&spn=0.008255,0.016512&gl=us&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=30.605241,-86.950558&panoid=X4-X3CdhvVO_ptMWbvB8SA&cbp=12,330.83,,0,9.24
> One can choose to ride either in the right lane or on the shoulder
> beyond the intersection.
>
> One regional mapper uses cycleway=shoulder for this, but I see that
> as sub-optimal, since it's primarily a shoulder, not a cycleway. It
> would be like putting cycleway=sidewalk whenever there's a smooth
> paved sidewalk.
>
> On the other hand, shoulder=yes or shoulder=paved says nothing about
> the quality of the shoulder. Should there be a minimum width for a
> shoulder (FDOT's standard is 4 feet)?

cycleway=shoulder doesn't seem right to me, either, and I'm a fairly
frequent cyclist (or was, before kids).

*If* we are going to mark shoulders, I think we need a series of tags, such
as:

shoulder:surface=paved/unpaved
shoulder:width=4 ft
shoulder:rumble_strips:yes/no/aashto         (this is very important for
                                              cyclists, as continuous
                                              strips render the shoulder
                                              useless for cycling, and yes,
                                              there is an AASHTO standard)

Has anyone run this by the OpenCycleMap folks? They're the only likely data
consumer for this information at present.

Alternatively, maybe cycleway needs an "unmarked lane" setting for these
situations, though that would imply the local authorities are intending for
cyclists to use the shoulder, rather than just tolerating their presence
(the usual situation).

--

Kristian M Zoerhoff