On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If parcel data is important to disaster response, I would expect the
> > responder to go get the most up to date data from the source, not use
> stale
> > data that was imported into OSM (potentially) some years ago
>
> Doesn't Haiti and Fukushima render this argument irrelevant?

There's two separate issues here. What Frederik and others point out is
that most administrative boundary data has no place in OSM, for the (valid)
reasons given.
The second is that data may not be available from the source when a
disaster strikes. That is a separate challenge that you can address in many
different ways that do not require using OSM as a general purpose GIS
datawarehouse. Which it is not.

--
martijn van exel
geospatial omnivore