On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> You've probably noticed I haven't mentioned anything about the road
> expansion code lately. That's because after a week of testing, and
> help from two community members, it's done. But I haven't uploaded it,
> and there's a good reason.
>
> That reason is similar to what the Seattle building importers are seeing:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/seattle-buildings/diary
>
> And similar to what the Kate and Katie in DC when they tried to do
> building, and I did parking lot imports.
>
> In their case, this left DC with only partial building coverage, and
> in the case of parking lots, I'm still fixing the mess of ways which
> share the same geometry (and often the same nodes).
>
> I hope the Seattle person/people will be cleaning this up, and not
> leave their import in the current state.
>
> Getting back to the current TIGER expansion, I decided it would be a
> mistake to try a large scale import without having some way of
> ensuring that the uploads were being done correctly, and so I've been
> working on a queue based uploader. It will take these issues into
> account, handle retries, etc.
>
> I'm not the Seattle person, but I've been cleaning up the original TIGER
import in eastern Renton (a Seattle suburb) that are way off.  I been using
the TIGER 2011 data as a layer in JOSM to trace in new streets.  But let me
assure you that even the newest TIGER data isn't all that accurate.  There
are streets going through buildings.

So I concur that we don't want an import of buildings without better
testing.

BTW -  for those familiar with Seattle, the area appears to be the
International District (ID) from the King Street Station going east.

Clifford