I've noticed some odd things on OpenCycleMap and other renderings, and I think it's due to a difference in how things are in the UK vs. here.

*Most railways have passenger service. Thus OCM (and the transport map) show all rail lines. *Tracks are useful for cycling. When you zoom in on OCM, tracks are highlighted the same as footways. But a track is just a narrow (usually) unpaved road, and is worse for cycling than a low-traffic paved road. This also shows up on renderings such as http://www.itoworld.com/map/26 where tracks are included in "path/cycle-path etc" rather than "road".