On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Clifford Snow <cliff...@snowandsnow.us>wrote:

> I've been doing some work in the North Cascades National Park. It appears
> that the border between the US and Canada is wrong.  Look at
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.9841&lon=-121.743&zoom=13&layers=M
>
> It appears that the boarder sags to the south. I see tags man_made =
> survey_point which would indicate that the border placement is correct. Can
> anyone recommend how to validate the border placement?

It appears to be correct. If you zoom in on the Bing imagery, you can see
that the border coincides with a strip of land that has been cleared of
vegetation: the "border vista". If you wanted to further validate it, you
could check that the survey points match those published by the Boundary
Commission:
http://www.internationalboundarycommission.org/coordinates/49thParallel.htm

The border does not follow the 49th parallel exactly:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/a-not-so-straight-story/

Clearly, some of the other boundaries in the area (e.g. the Mt. Baker -
Snoqualmie National Forest multipolygon) are incorrect and should be
sharing the same way.

John