On 2012-09-12 7:14 PM, Clay Smalley wrote:
It was mainly NE2 that went around changing everything to SR and SH. I'm
pretty sure the consensus has always been the postal abbreviation.

In Ohio, "SR 123" is used on blade signage and other places where the state route shield isn't appropriate. I've seen "SH 123" in plenty of similar situations in Texas.

Vid the Kid and I did much of the original ref= tagging in Ohio. We originally used "US:OH 123" for awhile before mostly switching to "SR 123", long before NE2 took an interest in the state. In fact, NE2 started out by changing all the state routes to "123" and county routes to "(123)", which didn't last too long.

So far, newer Ohioan mappers seem to have gone along with the "SR 123" convention, while out-of-staters periodically attempt to "disambiguate" the ref= tags near state lines. So the current inconsistency between states is more of a conspiracy than a one-man crusade. :)

--
Minh Nguyen <m...@1ec5.org>
Jabber: m...@1ec5.org; Blog: http://notes.1ec5.org/