On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM, stevea <stevea...@softworkers.com> wrote:

> In other words, New York is just as sovereign as is New Zealand, South
> Dakota is as much a nation-state as South Korea.  I am not an attorney, but
> I can read.  This makes for 51 independent jurisdictions:  the fifty states
> and the United States at a federal level.  (There might be
> "fifty-something" independent jurisdictions if we include DC, Puerto Rico,
> American Samoa, US Virgin Islands... but all of those extras are really
> separate areas of the single "federal state").  The latter (the federal
> USA) is, legally speaking, absolutely distinct from each of the former (the
> sovereign fifty states).  Let OSM properly reflect that.

More like 200+, actually.  Indian nations are usually above the state
level, below the US level, with a few exceptions that stand independent
straddling the US/Canada border.  These aren't mapped yet, mostly because
suggestions to use administrative boundary levels 3 and 1 as default levels
most tribes and the border stragglers have either gone ignored or shot down.