On 2/22/13 1:19 PM, Charlotte Wolter wrote:

As for using "ref," that changes the nature of that tag. Now we use "ref" to give the same identification to multiple pieces of a way, not to give different identities to pieces of a way. I think it might be better to include the number of each stop in the name, but I'm certainly open to suggestion.
i suspect your interpretation of ref may be narrower than it should be.

i see ref as a way of providing a concise alphanumeric designation, presumably sourced from some authority and clearly visible to someone on the ground, for an entity (whether
that entity is a way, relation, or node.)

richard