> This is a concern about there being no active project to develop a route
but having a
route showing on OSM/OCM.

If that's the situation it seems we have a clear cut case at hand: the
routes in question just aren't `proposed`.

Kerry - have you reviewed the OSM data in question and tried to get in
touch with the mapper(s) who created the route?

A clarification on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:proposed could
also be in order.