On 3/12/13 5:00 PM, Mike N wrote:
On 3/11/2013 10:10 PM, Eric Fischer wrote:

The results of application will depend on both the original data and the 2012 data. For layouts with 'regular geometry' - roughly square, rectangular, or rhomboid layouts, the results will be generally good. For curved roads with poor original TIGER geometry, I would expect the result to be very irregular without manual correction. I've seen this type of road network in very hilly or mountainous areas.

this level of mis-alignment is common in Upstate NY:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=43.51916&lon=-73.6955&zoom=15&layers=M

the example is from Warren County. i've seen worse in West Virginia and Arizona.

Ideally, all the new street data should be reviewed before bringing it in; depending on the origin, most of it needs to have the alignment tweaked and connectivity verified against Bing Aerials.

It would be nice to be able to view the results in JOSM before uploading them, even if another tool is used for upload; I'm not sure how to do that.
if the results are in an osm xml format, then JOSM can just load it up.

i like the idea, but there needs to be a manual quality control step so we don't make
things worse while trying to make them better.

richard