On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM, Jeffrey Ollie <j...@ocjtech.us> wrote:
> I know that in the past there has been some interest in RAGBRAI among
> OpenStreetMappers (if you're not familiar with RAGBRAI it's best
> described as a week-long moving party where to have to ride your
> bicycle from party location to party location).  The detailed route
> was announced last week, so I thought that it would be interesting to
> study the route in more detail by building up a route relation in OSM:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/2821829
>
> On one day there's an optional route (called the Century Loop or the
> Karras Loop) that brings the day's ride to 100 miles if you take it
> instead of the normal route:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/2821877
>
> The route between towns is pretty well fixed, but the route through
> larger towns might be adjusted later.
>
> I'm hoping that I can attract some armchair mappers to help fix up the
> TIGER deserts that the route goes through.  Bing has pretty good
> aerial coverage of the entire route so it should be fairly easy to
> align the streets and clean up any obvious errors.  I'll be doing what
> I can between now and the end of July, but there's a lot of work to be
> done.

Hmm... I might look at doing something similar for Biking Across
Kansas. Not sure if these event routes really belong in OSM as a route
relation though. They do not indicate a route that should be generally
preferred for bicycles. It is just specific to a single event and only
to event participants. So this seems like a case of tagging for the
renderer.

Toby