Jim McAndrew, one of the US Board Members, gave a presentation on the USGS
National Map Corps project status on June 9th (
http://stateofthemap.us/sunday.html#schedule/sunday/usgs-national-map-corps).
 I recommend the community work with Jim and his colleagues to ensure the
most effective exchange of data updates between OSM and the USGS mapping
community.

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Clifford Snow <cliff...@snowandsnow.us>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 2:49 AM, Mike N <nice...@att.net> wrote:
>
>> At one time, there was a plan for the USGS to use updated GNIS from OSM,
>> but I think that plan has become stranded on the island of license
>> incompatibility.   Therefore, even the GNIS id tag isn't critical IMO.
>

> At last years SOTM-US conference, USGS showed a pilot  program using a
> modified version of Potlatch2 to update GNIS database with volunteers. If
> they use this plan, the id tag could be used to compare OSM with the new
> data. It would us to compare the existing OSM data with the new GNIS data.
> For now I would suggest leaving that tag in OSM.
>

> --
> Clifford

John Novak
585-OLD-TOPOS (585-653-8676)