While I can't point to an example, I believe I've seen some state park
campsites that actually have a legal restriction against being accessed by
land. It might be that the terrain is considered too dangerous (park does not
want to assume liability for injuries), too ecologically sensitive or requires
traversing private property. In those cases it does seem to me that
access=water_only (or some equivalent) really does fit.

I haven't seen anything in this thread that indicates that this is the case in
the original question but I don't see how one could rule out the use of an
access tag altogether in all situations.

-Tod