The intent is to convey what mode of travel is appropriate or "authorized"
for each of 100+ campsites. Many are hiker-only, easily solved by
"horse=no", some are horse and hiker, a very few are hiker, horse, and
boat-accessible, and a very very few are only reachable by boat: There are
no trails, official or otherwise, leading to the boat-only sites (one being
on an island). Given the steepness of the terrain and density of understory,
attempting to reach one of these sites generally results in a bad ending
(tag..helicopter_rescue=yes). However, NONE of the sites are banned from
hiker-access. Just that we want to clearly identify and label the "only way
you can get here is a boat". So far I'm using "boat=yes", to keep it simple.
As someone else posted, lack of a way/route leading to the site would
suggest a boat as a means of getting there. In practice, there is mapped a
short trail from the lake shore to the actual site.

The color-coding on the official park map perhaps conveys this better

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP-Map_OCT2012.pdf

We have not considered a tagging scenario that suggests people can put their
horse in a boat...