On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <
dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/7/27 Bryce Nesbitt <bry...@obviously.com>
>
>> I think it is *also* time to create a supportable sustainable strategy
>> for future researchers or grad students.
>>

> IMHO our data including all history is public, our wiki including the
> history is public, our MLs and forums are mostly public, there is loads of
> stuff to analyze and study for probably hundreds or even thousands of
> scientists / students ;-)
> no need to bother the mappers every x months with a new questionnaire.

Editing logs are there.  But demographic information (the bulk of *
padeshahekhoban's* survey) is not recorded by OSM.  We have no idea who
most mappers are.  For example: people doing gender analysis of OSM users
use name analysis (e.g. "Jane" is female).   Education level is relevant,
but not recoverable.  Home country (for expats) is not recoverable either,
but of interest in marking the participation level of local residents.
 Human languages spoken would also be of interest.

If osmf collects just a bit more demographic data, the vast bulk of public
data becomes more useful to research.

There are privacy issues, for those accounts who provide demographics "only
to researchers".
If demographics are included with editing stats, it becomes probable
someone could work the data in reverse to reveal the member ID.