This reminds me of how patchy old USA looks when viewed with itoworld's admin_level render http://www.itoworld.com/map/2?lon=-95&lat=37&zoom=5&fullscreen=true especially at county level (admin_level=6 orange). Some states are snap-sharp beautiful (Michigan, Dakotas, Carolinas, New Mexico), some are pretty sloppy (large parts of the West: no offense, I'm simply identifying some hills to climb).

If there is a "can o' whoop" state by state available (whether freshly offered by our federal workers or a not-stale archive), perhaps effort to tease the good ones in (untangling with what is already) can be part of a next Edit-A-Thon.

Yes, by can o' whoop I mean the pop-it-open special blend of skill, careful steps, wider discussion, vetting, organization and roll-up-our-sleeves that I KNOW we can do, but hey, isn't that what we're doing here?!

Just throwing out what I think might be a well-identified idea. Discussing and paying attention to counties-at-a-time can shake a little order into things where now it seems a bit lumpy and chaotic.

SteveA
California
(yes, we have some work to do here!)