Toby, thank you very much for that clarification. I see the ito admin map does not respect relations at the city level but couldn't really prove it and/or got befuddled at the county level. Seeing the itoworld rendering at the California/Arizona/Mexico border really stymied me until I understood this.

Now, is there a method (as neat and easy as using itoworld) that renders both ways and relations? I mean for admin_levels, especially, as they are a handy visual for breaking up this large-ish "talk-us" of ours into between 3000 and 4000 counties, and along with 50 states, those are decent chunks to consider when slicing up these great states and nation of ours. We've got lots of mapping to wrangle here!

Tod, please consider this by a roundabout way of answering your private missive.

Trying to carve elephants into pieces which approach bite-sized (a terrible metaphor, really, but there it is),

SteveA
California

That ITO map seems to be only looking at ways. If you include relations in the analysis things should actually be pretty good. There should be a (mostly) correct boundary relation for every county in the US. At one point I was the last user to have touched about 40% of them... There may very well be some cleanup with state/city borders that overlap. I thought I got most of the state ones although I may have missed some out east.