When tagging boundaries, I think you'll find it worthwhile to look at the
US Census Bureau's 2012 Census of Governments[0], which lists all
incorporated governmental units by state. It's is a comprehensive listing
by state, of all governmental units. It's indispensable for understanding
the relationship between various units of government and how they are
established, and should be a big help in assigning the correct admin_level
for a particular set of boundaries.

HTH,
SEJ

[0] http://www2.census.gov/govs/cog/2012isd.pdf

-- SEJ
-- twitter: @geomantic
-- skype: sejohnson8

There are two types of people in the world. Those that can extrapolate from
incomplete data.