On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Richard Welty <rwe...@averillpark.net>wrote:

> what i favor is going to a multi layer approach where some
> layers of OSM are ground verifiable things and others may
> not be. a consumer could choose to use some layers, and
> the admin boundaries (which are a real problem) can be
> moved and we can consider how to approach them differently
> because what we're doing now isn't working real well.

I agree that a multilayered approach would be preferable. It would not only
allow the user to choose the layers to display but make it much easier for
new mappers. Boundaries do provide a benefit when analyzing osm data.
Boundaries allow for measuring of features inside boundaries.

To me one of the important reasons for having boundaries in OSM is for use
with GPS units. Knowing that I'm in a specific jurisdiction is helpful. It
might mean that I can expect to find answers to questions from the city or
county. Or it might mean that I need to pay for a permit to take pictures
on a Pueblo.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch