In Baltimore County, MD, we have 0 incorporated towns with nearly 1M
people. There are however plenty of informal towns that have become CDPs. I
believe the Census uses ZCTAs to construct the CDPs, so they're based on
ZIP Codes, which in turn are based on postal routes.

I think humans tend to like boundaries in general, so it is probably
natural they end up on OSM. I think that if people identify with them, and
there are no other admin boundaries, then go for it.

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>
> > (I realize that in Alaska
> > there are some areas where CDPs seem to matter.)
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethesda%2C_Maryland
>
> - Serge

Elliott Plack
http://about.me/elliottp