On 11/24/13 9:17 PM, Joseph R. Justice wrote:
> [I am subscribed to Talk-US and will see responses to this message
> sent to that list.  -- J]
>
> So, I've been thinking about getting involved with OSM, particularly
> in terms of improving the map in the area I live in (Fort Lauderdale,
> FL, USA).  Looking through the wiki, the Beginner's Guide, and all of
> that, it seems like one of the most popular and useful ways to do that
> is to collect and upload GPS traces.  That's something I can do on the
> ground in my area, and at a pretty detailed level because I'd be doing
> it on foot.

good to do, although i think GPS traces are less important now than they
once
were, as we now have very good quality aerial imagery available.
> I have several Android devices that contain GPS functionality.
> (Currently, I have and actively use a Google Nexus 7 (2013 ed) tablet
> and a Samsung Galaxy S II on the Virgin Mobile USA (Sprint) network,
> and less often a Toshiba Thrive 10 tablet; I have a couple of other
> devices that are not currently working.)  However, I'm thinking that
> their capability to make accurate and precise GPS measurements might
> not be as good as that of a dedicated GPS device.  Also, I understand
> that having GPS signal reception separated from that of the other
> functionality of a Android device will help improve the battery life
> of the Android device.

i think the GPS receiver in the Nexus 7 is outstanding. i have the same
model
nexus 7 as you have and have been using it with the OsmAnd application.

on foot, though, you should consider a higher end Garmen ETrex or
equivalent.
the models with the microSD card are nice, and  you can use the SD card to
install the OSM Garmin maps that Dave Hansen derives from the Lambertus
maps. the ETrex takes conventional batteries, so you can use rechargeable
NiMH batteries and just swap if they run down.

richard