Kerry

You are right, of course, and those of us who make our living out of
building such systems have to compromise continually between the needs of
locals and the needs of visitors. Now that Apps are gradually replacing 511
web sites and phone systems we are personalizing traffic reports more and
more.  Users who share their current locations as well as their home and
office locations can theoretically be given tailored location descriptions
that emphasize local names and cross-streets (near to home) or what I call
"fuzzy locations" such as "on ID 21, 20 miles north of Idaho City" when
they are far away.

Handling that, though, is mainly our problem, and that of our competitors.
We typically like to have route numbers and aliases like "I 290 (Eisenhower
Expressway)" to serve both user groups. But we typically need one key route
number, and not many.  No-one wants to hear that I 465 is also US 31, US
36, US 40, US 52, IN 67, US 421, etc.  Perhaps some people want to know
that part of it is also I 74. My proposal doesn't take away any ref
information (as it's all in the relations); it just helps us know what is
the most important route designator (say, I 465).

It's also perfectly fine if we want to keep all of the secondary
designators in the ways' ref tags, as long as the most important one is
presented first.  We can easily ignore the less important numbers.  But
without a way ref (i.e., using only relation refs, as has been suggested)
we have no way of knowing what is the most common route designator for that
specific way.

Peter