On 16:18 2014-01-20, Richard Weait wrote:
Thanks for providing a peek at the inside of MQ, Randy.  :-)

Minh, nice to know that 4S lead to a couple of mappers in your area.
Are they continuing to map?  Any indication that they  are surveying,
or are they restricting themselves to armchair mapping?

At least one comes back periodically, mapping restaurant POIs on a schedule that might correlate with a healthy Foursquare habit, but I'm not about to creep them out by looking into it. :-) It's local knowledge, if not GPS-aided surveying. But I wonder if this kind of interest is limited to the superusers.

Looking through some of the exchanges I've had with new mappers, I found the following motivations, in no particular order:

 - I'm an orienteer and commercial maps have terrible park coverage.
 - All the Ohio state route shields are missing from MapQuest Open. [1]
 - My GPS unit drives me nuts and I want to load good OSM maps onto it.
 - Bitcoin!
- OSM costs a fortune less than the county GIS product but needs a bit of help.
 - My professor assigned me to map my hometown. [2]
 - Just making my neighborhood look nice.

[1] MapQuest Open doesn't understand ref=SR ###. These roadfans are thrilled to hear about the Shield Renderer. [2] Introductory GIS courses at Ohio State and the University of Kentucky in 2012 and 2013, respectively.

--
m...@nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us